As home improvement experts, we know how much your surroundings can influence your mental and physical health. So we decided to contact someone in the wellness industry and get her expertise on how redecorating your home office can actually work to improve the way you feel, which, in turn increases your energy and productivity so that you can be even more successful in business, no matter what your line of work is.
Here are some of the ways that a little feng shui love can not only improve the look and feel of your home office, but your overall “look and feel” as an entrepreneur as well!
- Change up the color of your room. Studies have shown that different colors have different affects on the mind. If you’re looking to increase excitement and passion for what you do, for example, painting your office red can light a fire underneath your behind and make you work harder and faster. On the other hand, if you work better in a calm, relaxing environment, then blue might be the right color for you. It all depends on what you’re going for. So consider repainting those walls toward the effect and outcome that you want from your day-to-day.
- Set the mood by diffusing essential oils. Not only does a diffuser bring a different, peaceful aesthetic to your surroundings. The oils themselves also work in different ways to stimulate your nerves. Whether you need more energy, you want to enhance your creativity, or you need something to help you de-stress after a hard day’s work, there’s an oil for that!
- Fill your bookshelf with positive, self-help reads. It’s a little known fact that your mindset influences your physical health. And nothing aids mental health like sticking your nose into a good book for 30 minutes each morning. Having a shelf full of them also sets the tone for when you have visitors. This is especially helpful if you work in sales, as people are more likely to buy from someone who has a positive mental attitude and a genuine desire to help them achieve their goals and dreams.
- Decorate the walls with photos. Keep your loved ones top of mind throughout the day will improve your mental attitude as well and also keep you motivated to work hard to provide for them. Pictures of your spouse and your children are a given. But you may also want to highlight your accomplishments. Go ahead and frame that graduate degree and hang it proudly on the wall as a testimony of your achievements thus far! It’ll keep you motivated to succeed even more.
- Replace your furniture with more ergonomic options. This is assuming that what you’re currently using is bad for your posture and is causing pain in your neck, shoulders, and back (which is the case for a lot of people, unfortunately.) Make sure you have a good chair that you can sit comfortably in with your back straight and your feet firmly planted on the ground. It’s also good to raise your computer up to eye-level, so you’re not looking down all day long.
In addition to the 5 tips above, it’s important to also make sure your office windows are letting in plenty of natural light. According to Matt Wheeler, owner of All Seasons Window & Door Co. in Charlotte NC, natural light improves productivity. He’s heard significant improvements in the lives of the customers who have enlisted his help for window replacements to enhance their work environment.
These are just a few suggestions to get you started. If you work from home, what are some ways you spruce up your environment to improve your mental and physical health? Share your ideas and experiences with us in the comments below!